Sunday, December 9, 2007

Christmas Meme

I found this on a few blogs, like this one and this one, and thought it looked like fun. Feel free to play along!

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?
Wrapping paper! Bright and colorful, but not cheesy. And sometimes, if I'm really on top of things, personalized, homemade gift tags.
2. Real tree or artificial?
Artificial. We always had them growing up and it was never my favorite. Our first year of marriage we went to a tree farm and cut down our own. I loved it. Then last year (our second year together) we weren't allowed to have Christmas trees in our apartment. So we bought a cheap fake one from Target. And this year, to save money, we're using our already-paid-for fake from last year. Maybe once Josh is out of school we can go back to real trees.
3. When do you put up the tree?
Some time after Thanksgiving, when we have an open Saturday. We're often travelling right around Thanksgiving, so we can't always plan it for the weekend after.
4. When do you take the tree down?
Some time around New Years, when we have an open Saturday.
5. Do you like eggnog?
Yes, but in small doses. I don't buy it to have around, since I'm the only one who drinks it and only like about 1/4 C every couple of days. What I REALLY don't like is when people (like my dad) put whisky in it. Gross.
6. Favorite gift received as a child?
My Annie doll. She is doll that looks like a real baby, and my grandma gave her to me in a bassenette that was filled with real diapers and baby clothes. She still lives in the closet I used as a kid and will be passed along to any daughters that I might have.
7. Do you have a Nativity Scene?
Yes, a Willow Tree one given to us as a wedding present. This year Josh knocked off the head of one of the wiseman. See picture collage, upper left.
8. Hardest person to buy for?
Josh's dad. By far. His toys are usually a little out of our price range!
9. Easiest person to buy for?
Josh's mom. We started a scrapbook for her last year and add to it for various occasions. Its fun to make and we always know what to get her!
10. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
I don't know about that, but I do know the worst Christmas gift I ever gave... I was in 3rd grade or so and we did Secret Santas with girls from church. I, of course, had forgotten all about buying something, and at the last minute grabbed an ugly picture frame that I had painted myself. I think there was a rainbow involved. And I shoved my school picture into it and pawned it off as a thoughtful gift. Just what ever one wants, right?
11. Mail or e-mail Christmas cards?
Mail, and this is the first year I'm making them myself. I'm about 3/4 through them at this point and R-E-A-D-Y to be done ASAP. It was a good idea in November, and it was fun to put together something cute. But now it is simply tedious work.
12. Favorite Christmas movie?
ELF! I've already watched it 3 times this season. My favorite part? When he buys lingerie for his dad.
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?
Usually November. I don't give it too much thought.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?
I don't think so.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
Can I only choose 1? Bunket, which I need to learn how to make one of these days. It is a Dutch pastry-type-thing that includes almond paste.
16. White lights or colored lights?
White - I love the way they look on the tree and in our front window. Simple and pretty. Plus, when it comes to the tree we have enough crazy colored ornaments to make things looks bright and cheery.
17. Favorite Christmas song?
In the Christian realm, I love O Holy Night. I was in a children's choir (at St. Cecelia) when I was a kid and my favorite part of that experience was our Christmas concert. We'd each have a candle in hand and light it, one person to the next, while singing that song. It was awesome.
In the secular realm (and I know there is something wrong about this) my favorite is Baby Its Cold Outside. This may be because they sing it in ELF and it makes me laugh every time.
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home?
We usually travel. We're on a rotation with our parents where we see one side on Thanksgiving, one on Christmas, then flip flop the next year. It works pretty well. This year we're headed to Grand Rapids to see the Wittes, and went to Phoenix to see the Browns for Thanksgiving.
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer?
Don't think so, as I usually include "Dancer" in the list more than once.
20. Angel on top of the tree or a star?
A star I bought from Target a couple years ago.
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning?
It was always CHRISTMAS MORNING (and NO other time!) for me growing up. And sometimes it would snow Christmas Eve and my dad would have to plow and sitting there waiting for him to come home was so painful. Now that I'm all grown up I have three different "Christmas-es" - one with Josh's family, one with mine, and one with just us. We opened presents with the Browns over Thanksgiving, Josh and I are having our special date this coming Wednesday, and then we'll do Witte presents Christmas morning. When we have our own kids they'll have to wait until Christmas morning like I did :).
22. Most annoying thing about this time of year?
If I say "traffic" does that make me sound really crotchedy?
23. What I love most about Christmas?
So much... getting to celebrate and remember God's tremendous gift to earth. Sharing love and food and friendship with lots of people. Lights, decorations, generosity, and holiday cheer. Angels, shepherds, scared teenagers, and a baby born in the most humble of circumstances... the King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the shot of the headless wiseman!

Jaimbob said...

FYI, saying crotchedy might just make you crotchedy... but saying traffic doesn't make you crotchedy... I really do hate being near any kind of a mall or shopping area this time of year... though until you live in the DC area I'm not sure if you really know what traffic is... ;)

Jenni S. said...

We love the movie Elf! And I used to not like the song "Baby it's cold outside" until that movie. My husband loves the part where he answers the phone with "Buddy the Elf, what's your favorite color?"