Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A Prayer for the Here and Now

I was spending some time praying last night, and reading through a favorite little prayer book when I came across this portion:

When the way seems dark before me,
give me grace to walk trustingly.

When much is obscure to me,
let me be all the more faithful to the little that I can clearly see.

When the distant scene is clouded,
let me rejoice that at least the next step is plain.

When what Thou art is most hidden from my eyes,
let me still hold fast to what Thou dost command.

When insight falters,
let obedience stand firm.

What I lack in faith let me repay in love.

This is my prayer.

The future is so uncertain for us right now, and these words struck me in a way that was both comforting and challenging. I was reminded that what is important now is to be faithful with what I have been given and what I do know, trusting that God will direct my steps in His timing.

5 comments:

Tanya Searle said...

Jessica, I think you have the right idea. I know my faith is what is sustaining me through this uncertain time. I know that my Father in Heaven lead us here to IU and Bloomington and He will lead us to where we need to go next. That gives me hope.

Lynn said...

Can't wait to see what awesome plans He has for you. You are inspiration, trusting Him and seeking Him even amidst all the unknowns.

the buurstra's said...

Wow, Jess. This couldn't have come at a more appropriate time. Those words were so powerful.

In case you haven't read my blog yet, I found out yesterday that I lost my job. Company financial woes.

Just like you, I now face uncertainty about our future and if we let it, how it can take ahold of us-maybe not for the better.

Thanks so much for sharing those words and your thoughts. I know God has an amazing plan for you and Josh and am just as anxious, as you are!, to see what it is.

Jenni S. said...

AMEN! Thank you for sharing. I needed that message today too.

Chrispy Critter said...

I feel the same way. I love the scripture, "Be still and know that I am God". That runs through my head often. It is so nice knowing we are all in this together.