Sunday, April 26, 2009

Loving My TOMS

We're all about TOMS in my family these days!

Perhaps you've heard of them - they're highlighted in an AT&T commercial that is currently running.

The basic idea? You buy one (totally cute) pair of shoes, and the company sends a pair of shoes to a child who needs them. It is that simple! One for one. According to their website, they've given away 140,000 pairs already. I'm sure that number just keeps on growing.

I just love that idea. So many infections, viruses, and such can be prevented by giving kids good shoes to wear.

Want to read more? I found an LA Times article here that is pretty informative.

I've actually had my eye on these shoes for awhile now, ever since reading about the company in Relevant Magazine. Then my mom mentioned them one day over the phone. Then I got an email with a 20% off coupon to Piperlime. I figured that was my go-ahead.

I really like 'em.


Also, my dad got my mom a pair for her birthday:

And my mom got a pair for her best friend for her birthday. We're fans.

Donations to needy kids aside, I really do like the shoes. They're light and comfortable, but I wouldn't say they're overly hefty or anything. I'm not planning on trekking all over Europe in them. Nope, they'll be left at home. But they're perfect for hanging out around town, so long as it isn't raining (they're made of canvas). At $45-$55 per pair, you definitely pay a premium for the charity part of the business, but I'm okay with that.

And too, I think they're adorable.

1 comment:

Jenni S. said...

After you posted on Fb about them, I looked them up. I really like the blue version of the kind you got. And I love the company's idea to donate to others. I'm on a spending hiatus for now, but maybe when that's over... Thanks for the info!