Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall...

Which wood is the fairest of them all?


Okay, it clearly doesn't have the same ring as the original Snow White line.

New flooring for the main level is the first project we plan to tackle in our new place. We've decided to go with hardwoods throughout, and are trying to decide which we like best. I think we've narrowed it down to these three options:



A. On one hand, we like Brazilian Cherry. We like the rich reddish color, and the varying shades in each plank. When we're looking at wood only, this is our favorite. But our couch is reddish brown. Our wood furniture is reddish brown. Do we go with this, knowing that for the next few years (goodness knows we don't have the cash for new furniture!) it will look like reddish brown threw up in our family room? Plus, we like our reddish brown furniture and look forward to using it for many, many more years.

B. Then there is Maple - stained with a "Cappuccino" color. Less expensive, still pretty, and unique. And there will certainly be a color contrast between this and the rest of our furniture. But if we're doing an entire floor of a house in this, will our home look too dark?

C. Or we could do a Brazilian Teak. It has a lot of the same features as the Cherry - a similar grain, varied colors in the planks, etc. But overall there is much less red involved. But (of course!) this is the most expensive of the three options.


13 comments:

Tanya Searle said...

I know it is spendy, but I vote for C.

CM said...

I also vote for C.

Unknown said...

Have you thought about something lighter? Those are all pretty dark for flooring. We have very similarly colored furniture, and our floor is much lighter red and white oak. Looks great. #2 especially is probably going to get oppressive, especially if it's not just one room.

Anonymous said...

Lol. Of course C is the most expensive! Before even reading about them (just looking at pictures), I liked C best. Kent makes fun of me for liking expensive things. But A would be a close runner-up.

Anonymous said...

P.S. What's the most earth-friendly option?

Short Stop said...

I remember when we looked at houses last year - and I really didn't like any house that had the dark, dark wood floors. It just didn't seem as inviting and warm as lighter shades of wood.

But, I also don't really like "really light" wood floors either. Too "beachy".

I like 'A' the best. Odd ball out, I know. But, I just absolutely love Brazilian Cherry. And, with accent colors, your reddish brown furniture will look like it belongs with it, IMHO.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the choices, though. Hardwood floors are beautiful and such a great investment into your home!

Kara said...

I vote C also, It will transition the best over the years to different furniture. The dark brown shows every speck of dirt, food, etc so you'll be cleaning all the time

Helen said...

I like C best (strictly on the basis of the pictures/before I read any of the commentary)!

Laura said...

I vote for B. Even if you have dark floors, your house doesn't necessarily have to look dark. And the contrast will be nice.

Lynn said...

Wow, I really can't decide! We tend to like dark wood for our furniture, and I think it would add a nice contrast to lighter walls...so I guess my vote is B...followed by C. What did you pick?!?

Janine said...

I like the contrast of B, but I think C is best option. Brazilian Teak should help with resale too some day.

Jaimbob said...

I like C the best... followed closely by A... I feel like both those have a great mixture of colors that would go well with most hard woods... ;)

Jenni S. said...

OK, so you might have already chosen, but I also like C. Seems neutral enough to go with just about anything, without being too dark.