Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Travel, Pictures, and Needed Advice

I love this man.

bl0917_0999-1

And, I love traveling with him.

It is one of our favorite shared hobbies, and we're really thankful for all the opportunities we've had to explore new places thus far in our relationship.

I remember our first trip - fondly. We had been dating about two months when he invited me to go to New York City with him and a few classmates for an architecture project. The school work side of things took about 45 minutes, so we got to spend the rest of the time exploring the city. We loved every minute - the two 12 hour car trips, the food, the walking around town, everything.

And that was where Josh told me he loved me for the very first time. And where I cut him off mid-love-profession because he took so long to say it. Thankfully he found the courage to try again, and he succeeded. And heard it back from me.

We recently took another weekend trip. Traveling together is a bit different these days (we get to stay in a hotel room of our own!) but we enjoy it all the same. More, actually.

This time we took 4-ish days and took in as much of the Pacific Northwest as we could possibly cram in. We saw mountains, beaches, cities, waterfalls, rivers, boats, Michigan football fans, and the inside of a couple of Starbucks. (I told Josh that it would be disrespectful to Seattle if I didn't sneak in at least one cup.) Josh had been there as a kid and liked it, but I'd only ever been to Portland, and that was just for one day. And let me just say we can't wait to go back.

We're working on a top ten list to share with y'all. But a top ten list of that side of the country NEEDS to be accompanied by pictures to get the full effect. Things are just so beautiful over there that we can't NOT share. And HOLY COW did we take pictures. No surprises there!

But here's the problem:

We took somewhere around 1500 of them.

Why not, right? They're free (since we'd already purchased a digital camera, that is) and we wanted to get the best shots we could. We're newbies to this SLR thing, so we experimented heavily, and thoroughly enjoyed doing it. And we kept snapping. And trying a different angle. And snapping again. I spent a lot of time on the plane yesterday deleting duplicates, fuzzies, and other bad shots. But that left me with around 900. I deleted a bunch more last night, but still I have SO MANY PICTURES. And I like a lot of them. But the sheer reality of filing, organizing, editing, choosing the right ones to share, etc. makes me want to crawl into a ball and hide.

And the last thing I want is to go on vacation, take a bunch of pictures, and then never look at them again because I'm overwhelmed by the process of organizing them.

So I'm asking you, dear Internet, how do you keep tabs on your digital pictures? I use a program called Adobe Bridge, and I like it, but I'm probably only scratching the surface of what it has to offer me. How do you sort? How many do you delete? How many folders and subfolders do you utilize? And finally - what in the WORLD do you do with all of your pictures?

6 comments:

Erika said...

Totally understand, Jess. I have a TON of pics from Israel that I rarely look at now :( If you find out what to do let me know :)

Amber said...

I print my favorites and scrapbook them. When showing pictures to others, I prefer pulling out an album to sitting in front of a computer. I've also considered making movie/slideshows with some of my Mac software, but I haven't tackled that yet.

Alex said...

We bought a 320 GB external hard drive for pictures. I keep them all in folders named by date and topic. But they still get lost over time. It's fun to create a random slide show and see what pictures come up that you've completely forgotten about.

Jenni S. said...

I just sent you an email. I went into WAY too much detail, but I'm sure that won't surprise you. ;-)

Kristen said...

i am having the same issue. dealing with all our pictures is on my to do list for our fall break after we get back from seattle. i can't wait to hear what suggestions and what you decide to do. it is an overwhelming feeling.

Short Stop said...

I keep it very simple. I do almost exactly what Alex does. We have an external hard drive where I store my older pictures. I use Vista to label each folder with a subject and full date (with year). I never have any trouble finding anything and can search easily.

And, for what it's worth, I have tens of thousands of pictures! And, I delete many of them before and after I upload them. SO, I totally understand how you feel! :)