Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Antique Cradle

We've got an awesome antique cradle at our house. It isn't any antique, either. My mom slept in this cradle. So did I, as well as a number of other family members.

1208_2845

How cool is that?

While beautiful, it did need a little bit of TLC when I first got it. Not much, thankfully.
1124_2179

It's been a recent project of mine. A fun one, I might add.

First up, the mattress was in a bit of disrepair. The solution was a waterproof tablecloth. I just taped it in place with some packaging tape.
1124_2184

That way if she spits up/pees/etc. when she's in there, it'll be easy to wipe off.

Then I just needed to make a sheet for it. I thought flannel would be nice and cozy, and it was on a major sale at JoAnn's the day I went in there.

Unfortunately it was just a little too narrow to fully wrap around.
1206_3056

The solution? A simple patch. The one i made is pretty crude, obviously. But since it'll only be on the underside of the mattress, it works just fine.
1207_3046

Also, the cradle swings. A lot. Too much to be safe for a wiggly little girl. So we bound it to the frame with some plastic ties.
1208_2833

And then covered those in ribbon.
1208_2843

And now?
1208_2839

It's beautiful. And functional. And I love that this cradle has been used by many of us over the years.

We've got a great spot for Caroline to hang out.
1208_2924

Or have some tummy time.
1208_2850

1208_2854

Or nap. Or gaze at Christmas tree lights.
1209_2823

She likes it.
1209_2811-1

4 comments:

Ali said...

I LOVE this. Since having kids, I've become one big sentimental mess when it comes to family heirlooms. And you updated it beautifully. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome.

gram said...

I found this cradle when I was expecting your Aunt Tamara and all of your aunts as well as your mom slept in it. It brings back so many memories to see your precious little one in it. As near as I can figure, it must be almost 125 years old! Thanks for posting this.

Miss Chelsea said...

Ooh I love it! My mom has one that my grandpa had laid in as a baby, and my niece spent many a naptime in it when she was at our house!

Jess said...

I LOVE that last shot!!! Beautiful bokeh!!