Friday, November 21, 2008

Handmade Advent Calendars

We have a great store in town that sells a lot of handmade funky/vintage style products. My friend, Kendra, sells her amazingly cute kids clothes, hair ties, and headbands there.

What I didn't know was that they also hold crafty workshops in a back room. Kendra found out about such a class to make Advent Calendars and invited me and a couple other friends along. I had no idea what to expect, beyond Kendra's assurance that they were VERY CUTE.

I was totally impressed. First, stepping into the back room at Lola Rue was like walking into crafty paradise. Glitter, paint, and ribbon galore -- MMM. The base of our craft, I soon realized, was simply a baking sheet painted white. We were also given a blank calendar and glue, as well as free reign on the workshop. We went to town, searching through stacks of paper, baskets of stickers, and boxes of stamps. We dug through boxes of little "treasures," finding buttons, old board game pieces, spools, and bells to use for numbers 1 - 25. Add some glue, magnets, paint, and glitter, and voila - a darling Advent calendar.

Here is my friend Tracy with her masterpiece:


And here is my art project! I'm totally excited to find a place to hang this up for the season!


Update! My friend Kendra sent me a picture of her creation. I love that they're all different and all extremely cute.

3 comments:

Jedda said...

good job! That sounds like tons of fun!

Chrispy Critter said...

So cute!! I will have to go check it out!

Jenni S. said...

Those are ADORABLE! Sigh. I'd so love to be crafty. ;)