Monday, January 7, 2008

Too Much?

More thoughts on the year ahead.

I have big issues with taking on too much. Spreading myself too thin. This is true both in work stuff and personal stuff. There are so many things I want to do in 2008 (even just in the winter semester!) that I'm having a hard time making some immediate decisions. I'm trying to pray a lot about what to take on, and what to pass by. It is so hard! I like to be involved in so much!!

Here is what I have planned already for the semester:

Running in a Mini-Marathon in May
As previously discussed. And this will involve some significant training.

Co-leading the Kelley Partner's Club
My friend Lora and I are Co-Presidents this year. The KPC is a group of partners of MBA students here at IU. They did a wonderful job welcoming me to Bloomington, answering my questions, and just planning all kinds of activities so that I didn't have to sit at home all semester while Josh was busy with school. This group has been such a wonderful social/support network for our move here, and I'm happy to help carry it on for new partners! But leading this group is actually a lot of work. Meetings, correspondence, planning, etc.

Trip to Chile/Argentina in March
WAY excited for this one. The school calls these "KIPs" trips (Kelley in Perspective, I think) and Josh will actually take a class on business in those countries, then go, then eventually get some credits too. But I (along with a few other wives) am going along for the ride! The students won't be busy EVERY day, and when they are we can just do some extra sight-seeing.

KATS-ing
I did this last semester and involves working for the business school and getting well paid for it. Somewhere around 30 hours, spread over a few weeks. Doesn't sound so bad until I remember I'll still have a normal job to work and KIPS falls right in the middle. But extra $ always helps when you're married to a full time student!

And here are some things up in the air:

Small Group with Church
We kind-of started a small group with some other young couples in the fall, but I get the feeling it is falling apart at the seams. We have a book picked and bought, but when I email out information only 1 or 2 people (out of 4-5) answer. Are people just too busy? Not interested? Not sure. If it does get up and running, that would be great. We've had great experiences with small group in the past and hope for the same here in Bloomington.

Women's Bible Study with Church
Am I crazy? I'm beginning to think so. I wouldn't think twice about this opportunity except they're starting a Beth Moore study (her new one) on Psalms in a couple weeks. I HEART Psalms and have really wanted to do a Beth Moore study with other women for a long time. I've done some workbooks on my own and always learn so much. I'm sure it will only be better in a group of people working through it together.

AND THEN THERES NORMAL STUFF
Spending time with Josh, Riley, and friends. Work (more on that at a later date) and church and time spent in prayer and the Bible. Grocery shopping, laundry, cleaning, reading, crafting, blogging. :) And as I've mentioned, I really want to get out there and serve people. Plus there is a part of me that knows it is sometimes best to be still. I'm praying specifically about the Beth Moore study in particular, and am leaning toward NOT doing that one. Is that the right thing to do? Especially after just typing this out I'm leaning toward that one.

I'm honestly asking for advice. Please feel free to leave some!

No comments: