Friday, March 21, 2008

Hints of Easter

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8

Today is Good Friday, where Christians worldwide remember that death. I often connect with God and his truths through music, and these snippets of songs come to mind today:

"Amazing love, how can it be? That you, my King, should die for me?"

"And when I think that God, His Son not sparing,
Sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in;
That on the cross, my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died to take away my sin."

"Jesus paid it all, All to Him I owe;
Sin had left a crimson stain, He washed it white as snow."

Jesus paid for my wrongdoing, taking it upon himself and dying. And as He said, "It is finished." (John 19:30)

But things didn't stop there. Jesus rose from the dead, just a couple of days later. Easter. I used to wonder why this part of the story mattered so much. I mean, he'd already made me right with God through His death. Why was it so important for Him to rise again?

Then I started to understand. The whole story falls apart without the resurrection. Jesus demonstrated that he really was who he said he was (the Son of God) through conquering death. Otherwise he wasn't any different that a bunch of people who die for what they believe in.

God showed me a little glimmer of new life today - the first little buds of tulips coming out of the ground. For so long things have been dead in my little back yard. I've never had anything close to a garden before, and honestly this one has been touched ONLY by my cute parents, who not only planted all kinds of things last summer, but also put some tulip bulbs in last fall. I can't claim a thing and YES I realize it needs some serious cleanup. But still it was pretty sweet to get a little reminder of Easter while letting Riley out this morning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see that you have tulips planted. Mine have also started blooming. In fact, I have some that are already done blooming. That's California weather for you.

Happy Easter!