Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Full Circle


A year ago now we were just thinking about our upcoming move to Bloomington. I'm a huge planner and I had SO many questions and concerns and wonders and worries about what it would be like.

I really appreciated the opportunitied to visit the school last spring. Josh got to do school-ish stuff, while I found that they had an entire day planned for me and the other "partners." A greeting from the Dean, and snapshot about student life from a professor, and a housing tour were all involved, along with ample time to ask questions. They even sent me home with a "Survival Guide" - a big binder full of all kinds of helpful information.

And this past weekend it was OUR TURN to plan Kelley Experience Weekend (well, the partner side of things). Remember how Josh predicted that I would lead the partners' group? Well, I do, along with my friend Lora.

For weeks we were buried in powerpoint slides, faxes from caterers, emails from school staff, and lists of volunteers. I soon found out that quite a bit goes into planning such an event! We thankfully had great volunteers that took on a lot of the work.

On Friday we had almost 40 partners roll into town with their prospective students. I remember having the same questions then that I answered all weekend this time around. I remember feeling nervous because I didn't know anyone.
Would I make friends here?
Where should we live?
Where could I work?
Looking back, it is crazy to imagine how normal (and great) life has become in Bloomington in less than a year.

I really enjoyed introducing all of these people to Kelley and IU and Bloomington. You know how when you really like something you can't wait to tell other people about it? We have LOVED our time at Kelley so far and it was so fun to get to see others getting more and more excited about opportunities here.

3 comments:

Chrispy Critter said...

Jessica,
I had so much fun this weekend. Thanks for all your work! I am so excited to move to Bloomington. We can't wait. It was fun checking out your blog. When I have more time I will look at more of it. Thanks again!
Chris Rich

Jenni S. said...

Isn't it nice to be able to share your own experiences with others to help them make those life decisions? What a great opportunity!

See you tonight! :)

Short Stop said...

You were the perfect person to plan this weekend. Your enthusiasm is so evident and I bet you were a huge blessing to all of the new partners.

WAY TO GO!!!