Monday, February 18, 2008

Jesus For President


My Copy Came In Today!

I'd been waiting in anticipation for this book to come out. I really enjoyed Shane's last book and had long looked forward to #2.


And I have read like 2 words and am already very impressed. For one thing, the message of such a book resonates clearly with my feelings and attitudes toward politics and church and Jesus (at least I think it does... I should read it first to make sure!) And just flipping through it here at my desk... I think the amazing color interior will add volumes to the message. It just looks scrumptious. Can't wait to dig in.

In case you're curious, here is part of the Z recap:

"Jesus for President is a radical manifesto to awaken the Christian political imagination, reminding us that our ultimate hope lies not in partisan political options but in Jesus and the incarnation of the peculiar politic of the church as a people “set apart” from this world.


Drawing upon the work of biblical theologians, the lessons of church history, and the examples of modern-day saints and ordinary radicals, Jesus for President stirs the imagination of what the Church could look like if it placed its faith in Jesus instead of Caesar.


A fresh look at Christianity and empire, Jesus for President transcends questions of “Should I vote or not?” and “Which candidate?” by thinking creatively about the fundamental issues of faith and allegiance. It’s written for those who seek to follow Jesus, rediscover the spirit of the early church, and incarnate the kingdom of God. "

Stay tuned for an actual review. This is more of a preview.

3 comments:

Jenni S. said...

Can't wait to hear what you think - it sounds fascinating!

Short Stop said...

I think this book looks awesome! I'll have to ask J what he thinks, too!

Anonymous said...

I just read it this weekend. It is truly amazing. The artwork and presentation really make it a multi-media experience. I'm very excited for this book to hit stores. This movement is growing so fast and in circles not often reached by mainstream Christian media.